Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I'm not one for New Years Resolutions as I find most people don't stick to them. However, I think blogging will make the list for me. It would be much easier if I kept up with it. The end of October was my last blog post sorry to say and a lot has happened since then.
The most memorable part of November was obviously Thanksgiving and celebrating it outside of the US. I was surprised to see so much "Thanksgiving" food at the grocery stores...turkeys, cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc. I didn't splurge and go for all that this year, but made a special dinner for the family that night. It was strange being in another country knowing people back home are all together celebrating. It was like knowing there was a party and you weren't invited. However, a few days later the Kelly's or who we refer to as Ashely and Ashley invited us over. We had turkey and mashed potatoes, etc. It felt so nice to be together with friends. It was very special.
December was jam packed full of "things". The first and very special part was Nana visiting us for a week. Having her here made our house feel a little more like home. We did our best to show her around and she was able to spend a little time in Reid's classroom. The kids really enjoyed spending time with her. I know they are looking forward to spending more time with her this summer.
In front of the twin towers
Tamarind Springs Restuarant
Ice cold towels that smell of lemongrass to clean and cool you down before eating...plus the table always looks really cool to me.

Nana is an angel for many reasons, but the most recent would be flying home with me and the children. Bill was not able to fly home with us so we asked her to help. Thank goodness for Nana. It was quite a trip and at times I didn't think I was going to make it with Georgia screaming to fall asleep and us racing through the Hong Kong airport to make our connection. I'm so thankful for my friend Heather who let us borrow their double stroller. Pushing 2 tired cranky kids hecticly through and airport is much easier than pushing one and pulling the other or even carrying one for that matter. Thank the Lord for Nana and her help. It was wonderful to have her with me and I so appreciate all that she did. I'd like to say that the trip was the most difficult part of the journey, but unfortunately I can not. We must have caught a very bad stomach bug on one of the flights over because a few days after arriving in Houston we were sick as dogs...no other details needed or desired I'm sure. Georgia was sick, then Reid, then me and Nana and then my mom. It was awful. With the sickness and the time zone changes it took the kids about 7 days to get back to a somewhat normal schedule. It really was a bummer to feel like we lost so much precious time. I had to reschedule and cancel many visits with friends. I must say though prior to us getting sick we were able to squeeze in a visit to see Gammaw at Silverado. They had a Christmas party for the residents and it was very nice. They had a buffet with all kinds of goodies, drinks, carollers, and a carraige ride. It was wonderful to see Gammaw. She looks great and is very with it right now.



I think that is all the play by play I can give for the visit home.
Instead I'll tell you how wonderful it was to be back on American soil...to have the immigration officer at San Fran airport tell me welcome home...and to just be in a place I know with the people I love. I treasured every moment with my family and loved watching Reid and Georgia play with Nino and Pop. Waking up as a family and going to bed as one was priceless. Thanks to my parents for putting up with all of our BS while we took over their house. Can't wait to do it again! HA! Below are just some of the special moments from our trip home. There is a story of our trip home which at this point I just can't rehash. It was a long long trip home, but we are so happy to be back.





















Love Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back!! Love the details that you include. LLOOVVEE all of the great pics. And love you. I look forward to seeing you this summer!

    ReplyDelete